Thursday, May 10, 2012

Crazy Quilting for Crazy Quilters!

I had the most wonderful day today!
I met a bunch of my quilting buddies for a lecture on crazy quilting.
They were so fabulous to drive up to my neighborhood!


Sue Reich gave a wonderful talk on crazy quilts,
how they were made and what the different embellishments mean.


They were mostly silks and satins with lots of yummy embroidery.
The women that made these quilts would collect scraps from
where ever they could, from old clothes, remnants, you name it.
Like a treasure hunt.
There could be thousands of pieces in each quilt.

Spider webs mean good luck.


These quilts were foundation pieced and usually done in blocks that
were later put together to make the quilt top.


I love the tufted wheat in this block.


And these black eyed Susans


This quilt was made by the grandmother one of the attendees.
The quilter was an opera singer and many of the pieces 
of fabric were from her costumes.
The detail is amazing.
She is pondering what to do with this quilt 
because no one in her family really wants it.
Well, there could have been a rumble!
Jody volunteered to take in on the spot! Hehe.


The flower on this block looks like a fluffy chenille dream!


 My group shot picture is kind of blurry,
but here is the gang!
Victoria, Margaret, me, Chris, Helen and Jody.
 I think Victoria and Helen will have better group shots on their blogs.
We all went out to lunch after and had a giggle fest.
My kind of day!
Thank you ladies for all the fun.

5 comments:

  1. What a great way to spend a day with friends....looking at beautiful crazy quilts and doing lunch

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first quilt I loved was a crazy quilt my mom had made. I loved touching all the velvets! Glad you had such a superbly fun day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What fun. I love those crazy quilts. So improv and so gorgeous

      Delete
  3. Oh man! Sounds like a pretty perfect day to me - sometimes you have to put down the needles and just take a look. Thanks for the pix. Byrd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I am so sad I missed it. But new Gig is great and great to "See" you...smooches

    ReplyDelete