Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A Dresden Plate for Brian

I finished my January Modern Bee Block for Brian just under the wire!
Brian sent us wonderful fabrics and a ruler for a Dresden plate block.
He gave us tremendous latitude in our creations.
You can see some of them at our guild blog.

I decided to go traditional this time.


Last year Nicole asked for a Dresden plate and I totally panicked.
I hadn't done one before, so I took the coward's way out
and made it without points.

This year, it's time to be brave and jump in with both feet!


Brian gave us a couple of good links to check out,
and that gave me some confidence.
It wasn't nearly as difficult as I imagined.

 Isn't this picture funny with my little blue & white plate underneath my acrylic sewing table?


Here I have sewn the plate onto the background.
I did a simple straight top stitch,
I thought a zig-zag might be too heavy for my smaller plate.


I did hand applique the center piece,
I think it was easier than trying to topstitch.


So what have I learned?
Don't be a coward.
Jump in with both feet.
Try something new.
It's hardly ever going to be as difficult as you think!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats for jumping in and succeeding at something new. Great fabrics he picked. I looked at some of the other plates. It's going to be a fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete