Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 Here I come!

I went for a really nice walk yesterday.
Contemplating the turn of the calendar.
I don't feel any differently today than I did yesterday,
but I think this time of year causes us to reflect.
It has been a tumultuous couple of years for me.
Life sometimes changes in quarter inch segments,
and sometimes it hits you in the face like a brick.


I got hit with the brick and since then
the quarter inches have been piling up.
I am grateful that I am ending the year in a better
place than I began it.
I think I have finally found my footing again.
So it is with great reflection that I have decided to
embrace all the "good" and the "bad" things that
happened in my life.
I now know that all of the events of my life have lead me to this point.
I think I can now accept them all lovingly, even the painful ones.

This is one of our beaches.
Something you may not know about me is . . .
I am a Justice of the Peace.


In Connecticut we are blessed to be able to have same sex marriages.

Two weeks ago at this beach, in the freezing, windy cold,
I married two couples, one both men, the other both women.

The joy of the day was overwhelming.
And so was the temperature!

What I took away from that day was the the pure love
these couples had for each other.
They were embracing something they had wanted for a long time,
but were not permitted to have.

It really made me start to think about all I have that I take for granted.




So for today, and hopefully all the days that follow,
I am going to look at everything with clear attention . . .
with presence of mind.
With gratefulness for everything in my life.

My friends. Old and new!

My daughter


My family.


My community.


My fabric. no just kidding, well maybe not.

I think I better sign off, it's getting alittle deep around here.




5 comments:

  1. Lisa, I am so happy for you. You go girl! Keep the positive thoughts and feel the love from all of us out here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa...I don't know you other than for visiting your great blog. 2.5 yrs ago my hubby suffered a spinal cord injury...paralyzed from chest down. "Bad things" force us to stop and re-evaluate what is really important in life. And that is exactly what you listed at the end of your post!! Stay positive, eliminate the negative, and keep life simple. Looks like you're doing a great job!! Happy 2011!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said it, sister! 2011 was a year of major change for me. Diagnoses of 3 diseases; 7 or 8 MRIs (I lost count) and assorted other tests; moving out of our home for the entire year (we're still not back); and continuing therapy with my husband for what is now 18 months, with more to go.

    One overarching lesson I've learned is that attitude is everything. When I make a determined effort to point my brain in the direction of gratitude, being grateful within my circumstances, something in me changes and I can deal with anything.

    And I want to personally thank you for performing those marriage ceremonies. The T-shirt I'm wearing most often lately, in honor of my brother, reads, "Some guys marry guys. Get over it." Thanks to people like you, and the other fine folks of Connecticut, they sure do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures - and keep up the positive attitude. Maybe send some of it down the hall to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda,
    Thank you so much for your comments. How do I get in touch with you??? Send me your email please!

    ReplyDelete